How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Haliburton, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Daily Bread Baking: Every morning, a group of residents gather in our Country Kitchen activity room and bake bread for that day. The smell of freshly baked bread greets all residents every morning! The program is so popular we have to schedule residents to ensure everyone gets a chance to participate.
- Music and Memory: Through our Music and Memory program, residents living with dementia can have their own personal playlist loaded on an iPod and listen with earphones to their favourite music.
- Montessori Program: Our Montessori Program helps residents living with dementia connect with things and activities from their past. The Behavioural Support Team learns as much as they can about the resident’s past from friends and family and then tailors activities to their past history. It helps them to feel needed or useful and can help reduce and control responsive behaviours.
- Afternoon Tea Parties: Community church groups organize and host monthly afternoon tea parties for residents. Everyone gets dressed up and they are very popular and well attended.
- Live Entertainment: Two or three times a week, we have live entertainment as community groups, musicians and bands, covering everything from country and western to bluegrass to soft rock, volunteer their time and talents.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Registered Respiratory Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist